East Texas Lumber was founded in 1934 when Ronald E. Spradlin Sr. (known as “Shiplap”) bought one of the 13 existing lumber yards in and around Kilgore.
He had been transferred to Kilgore to be the manager of the Arkmo Lumber yard when his son, Ronald E. (Sonny) Spradlin Jr. was less than a year old. R.E. Sr. lived over the lumberyard, as was customary for the manager, with his wife “Sis” and son, Sonny. They operated East Texas Lumber in Kilgore from several different locations over the years including once across from the high school, where the new post office is now, at the corner of highway 259 and Woodlawn, and behind the old post office.
The yard shut down during World War II … READ MORE